Friday, November 25, 2011

Bakecation*

The holiday season is upon us and I am baking up a storm.  I baked a pumpkin pie for both sides of the family and to enter one into a contest at work.  A few years ago I was feeling overly domestic and decided to bake a pumpkin pie from SCRATCH!  Cooked the pumpkin, made the crust and it to everyones surprise turned out well.  It wasn't the prettiest pie you had ever seen but it tasted great.  I mean if I can do this anyone can do this.  Here are some pictures from my recent bakecation* and recipe.




Recipe (Makes 2 9inch pies):
1 cooked pie pumpkin - cut, seeds removed, cooked at 350 in a pot with lid and little water (cover the bottom of the pan) for one hour or until soft.  Once cooled scoop out the filling and puree in food processor.  

Mix together - 
3 cups of pureed pumpkin 
3 eggs
1 can of evaporated milk
1 1/4 cups of sugar
1 t of cinnamon 
1 t of cloves
1 t of allspice
1 t of vanilla extract
1/2 t of salt

Pour into your crust bake at 425 for 15 minutes then reduce to 350 for 45 minutes.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 
  
*Bakecation = taking some vacation time from work to bake  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment